Facebook just released “Memology 2011“, which is ‘a look at what people were talking about on Facebook on 2011.
Worth having a look are the top 10 Facebook topics in Australia:
- Cyclone Yasi
- Death of Osama bin Laden
- Victorian floods
- Daniel Morcombe
- Charlie Sheen
- Death of Amy Winehouse
- Cadel Evans
Interesting to see two disasters (the floods and cyclone Yasi) making the top 10 list. Just another case to encourage bodies such as the SES to get online to share reliable information.
Otherwise nothing hugely surprising there – Australians are generally keeping to the top memes and topics of the times. I’m surprised that Steve Jobs’ death didn’t make this list though (although this is in the global top 10 below!).
Globally there are a few similarities (underlined) but quite a number didn’t make it over here:
- Death of Osama bin Laden (also in US top 10, #3)
- Packers win the Super Bowl (also in US top 10, #7)
- Casey Anthony found not guilty (also in US top 10, #6)
- Charlie Sheen (also in US top 10, #4)
- Death of Steve Jobs
- The Royal Wedding
- Death of Amy Winehouse (also in US top 10, #10)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (also in US top 10, #5)
- Military operations begin in Libya
- Hurricane Irene (also in US top 10, #8)
Does this suggest that Australians are talking more about local and important issues compared to the overall global audience?
This becomes important when considering what content to share!